Saturday, April 19, 2014

Baños Ecuador









Church in Old Town Quito




Central Market

                    Today we walked around the Old Town, Quito, which was beautiful. We saw lots of churches, plazas, parks, museums and did lots of walking. We had lunch at the central market, which had lots of  food stands, it was very hard to choose what to eat, but I got fried tuna, with rice, ceviche, and salad all for $4!! Adrienne ordered two meals not realizing how much food it would be, all for $5, we were in heaven!
Adriennes $5 meal(s)
my $4 meal
          We then made our way back to La Mariscal, took a cab to the bus terminal and took a 3.5 hour bus ride to Baños. We walked around a bit, had dinner at this local spot where we got carne asada and carne apanada with large $2 beers.
            The next morning we booked a $5 waterfall tour for 3 hours and headed out on the bus and saw many beautiful waterfalls, we even drove under some of them. Our first stop was at a cable car, where we went across a huge canyon of water and over huge waterfalls to the other side, where we stopped for a second and it felt like we were on a  slingshot back to the other side. I was pretty scared, and my legs felt like jello when I got off.  I am trying to get over my fear of heights, Adrienne thought this was just hilarious how scared I was and holding onto the rails.    

           Next stop another beautiful waterfall and ziplining (canopy) spot called, Canopy Doble Rio Blanco. I figured lets get this over with, since Adrienne had gone ziplining before and I hadn't, I just wanted to do it. I was really nervous because it was very high, above a huge river with rapids, and rocks. We decided to go side by side and do the super man pose. They put up your legs and give you a push off. I started a bit before Adrienne, and I was soaring through the air, it felt like I was flying, I was loving it. When I got to the other side I looked back and saw that Adrienne was stopped and had gotten stuck in the middle of the zipline, I guess her guy didn't give her a big enough push. Immediately a rescue person ziplined out to her, and people on land pulled them both in. We both couldn't believe it had happened, but at least we could laugh about it once she was safe on the ground.

superman


Our zipline course (superman top right)
our cable car over the falls
scared on the cable car
       
$2.50 meal
After we got back from the tour, we had some local food at the Central Market for $2.50, then went about 35 minutes outside of the town to Casa de Arbol (the treehouse). It was beautiful, it was a wooden treehouse, on the edge of a cliff, with a huge tree swing, overlooking the countryside and the Tungurahoa volcano. It was a bit too cloudy to see the volcano, but it is an active volcano and we did hear it erupt twice, which was pretty awesome. After hanging out here a bit, we went on the swing, which was pretty scary for me as well, I didn't want to go very high or look down, unlike Adrienne who got a big push from a local man.
dont look down


ran into Juan at the treehouse

swing

treehouse

         This had been a day of adrenaline rushes and getting over my fear of heights, I “treated”, myself to some pizza cones and red wine!!!

adrienne flying high


tree house

No comments:

Post a Comment