Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Quito, Ecuador





overlooking quito


#1 at foosball
walking through Guapulo








            Wednesday afternoon we said goodbye to Colombia.  It had been an amazing 3 weeks, and we were sad to say goodbye, but we were flying to Ecuador that afternoon. 1 hour flight, to a 3 hour layover, to a 1 hour flight and we were in Quito. 


            We arrived at our hostel, in the area of La Mariscal in the “new city,” and were told it was, “ladies night at the bar, so ladies drink for free.” Instead of heading out to grab some dinner, we first  dropped our packs and grabbed some drinks and mingled at the hostel bar.  It was really fun because there was good music, a pool table, a foosball table, board games, fun people and free drinks!! We played a few games of pool with some fun Aussie's, then they challenged us to a game of foosball, Adrienne and I, against two of them.  After three intense rounds we had won the tie breaker, and of course had the DJ blast, “Empire State of Mind,” while we did an obnoxious victory dance, which they thought was hilarious.  Later, we went out for drinks in the awesome little area of La Mariscal, with many bars, restaurants, clubs, cafes, hookah bars and fast food restaurants. 

$1 Tacos

            Thursday I woke up early and ready to explore Quito.  Adrienne wasn't feeling well because of the elevation (Quito is 9,350 feet above sea level,) so I headed out on my own to take a look at this huge city.  I first went to the neighborhood of Guapulo.  It was a cute little town with lots of twists, turns, and hills (of course), cobblestone roads and beautiful lookout points (some gorgeous views of the Andes) and cute houses along the steep 30 minute walk up to the top of the town.  When I got to the top, a bit winded, I found an awesome Mexican taco stand and got delicious $1 chicken tacos. 


Teleferico
            I then headed to the teleferico, which is one of the largest in the world rising from 10,226 feet to 12,943 feet in about 10 minutes.  It was really really high, I was a bit nervous, but once I got to the top and got off to take in the cold air I was fine.  I walked around a bit, there was a park, and trails, but I didn't realize how much colder it would be up there, so I made a view rounds, then headed back down to the warmer temperatures. 
        
    On the way down in the teleferico, I started talking to this guy named Juan about how to get back to town, he said that he was going to La Mitad de Mundo ( the middle of the world), and that I should come.  I was planning to do this tomorrow, but I had heard that a taxi ride an hour out and back was about $40USD, so I figured if I went with him it would obviously be cheaper.  I told him I'd change my plans and go with him today.  The best part about Juan was that he spoke fluent Spanish, and he knew how to take public transportation to the middle of the world.  We easily hopped on the public bus, rode an hour out to the middle of the world for only 40 cents, compared to $40!!!  Big shout out to Juan, thank you!!
coin balance
Egg balance
           
Virgin of Quito
           When we got there we walked around the park a bit.  Took pics on the equator line at the earths midpoint, 0 degrees, 0 minutes, 0 seconds.  Did some of the fun tricks at the equator line, like balancing an egg on a nail, which is supposed to be easier at the equator (not so easy but I did it),  had some lunch and beers, then I headed back to check on Adrienne.  She was feeling a lot better when I got back, so we chilled out in the center plaza, drank some wine, had for the first time cone pizza which was delicious, it was regular pizza but the crust was cone shaped, it was amazing!
middle of the world
pizza cone

No comments:

Post a Comment